MMRU is an integrated unit within the Institute for the Oceans and Fisheries that works with other departments and institutions, combining specialties in a coordinated effort to provide independent research and advice on matters related to marine mammals.
The research program consists of four components:
DEVELOPING NEW TECHNIQUES
Some specific questions being explored are:
- what are the abundance and population trends of marine mammals?
- what criteria can be used to determine population health?
- how much prey is consumed?
- what is the resource base and how is it affected by marine mammals?
- where do marine mammals occur and what determines their distribution and habitat needs?